We Deliver Diagnostic Services to You
The MBS Envision®, Inc. team can conduct a comprehensive swallowing evaluation for patients via the modified barium swallow study (aka videofluoroscopic swallow study) in rehabilitation settings. This eliminates the costly and inconvenient alternative of having to be sent out to the hospital. Each of our teams includes a physician, a speech-language pathologist, and a technician. We additionally collaborate with a board certified radiologist to assure the most accurate and thorough swallowing diagnostic service available.
Who Might Need This Study
People who are having difficulty with swallowing may need an instrumental swallow study via the modified barium swallow (or videofluoroscopy). A candidate for the MBS Envision study displays signs and symptoms of swallowing difficulties (dysphagia) that may include one or more of the following conditions*:
- Difficulties with swallowing and mastication
- Feeding difficulties
- Head or neck cancer
- An underlying neurological condition (such as CVA, Parkinson's Disease, multiple sclerosis, ALS, myasthenia gravis, or Guillain-Barre Syndrome)
- Aspiration pneumonia or pneumonitis ( due to inhalation of food or other substances)
- Esophageal reflux (GERD)
- Diverticulum of esophagus, acquired
- Structure and stenosis of the esophagus
- Achalasia and cardiospasm
- Unexplained weight loss accompanied with difficulty swallowing
*A physician must also have diagnosed the underlying condition to be one that supports the medical necessity for a modified barium swallow/videofluoroscopic swallow study. Patients requiring this procedure must have a valid written prescription from their physician.
What the Study Reveals
The MBS Envision study uses videofluoroscopy to more objectively diagnose disorders of swallowing and aspiration. It records any episode of aspiration during swallowing.
How the Results Are Used
The study is an effective tool to assist in:
- Documenting the medical necessity of the need for a modified diet
- Determining the safest/least restrictive oral diet when indicated
- Determining compensations that will be helpful to patients
- Assisting in determining the possible need for an alternate route of nutrition
- Assisting the speech language pathologist in determining future needs for swallowing therapy
The MBS Envision system is a compact, portable videofluoroscopic unit that plugs into a standard 110-volt outlet and requires no special environmental consideration or shielding.